The following post from our forum is from a women who had a full tummy tuck 3 weeks ago and now her new tummy tuck belly button is ischemic and producing puss and pain. She is concerned that her belly button will get infected again.
Date: 11/09/2011 Submitted by: JoyInfected Tummy Tuck Belly Button 3 Weeks After Surgery
Hello. I am currently 3 weeks post-op from having full tummy tuck. The main incision is healing nicely but due to a prior laproscopic procedure, my circulation was compromised around belly button. Because of this the tissue of new belly button is ischemic and producing puss and pain. My PS put me on IV antibiotics and had me use silver mesh for a week. This was two weeks ago. There is no sign of healing and I’m afraid it will infect again. I’m usually a qiuck healer.How often do these open wounds re-infect? What more can I do to avoid re-infection other than washing it and changing dessings daily? My PS agrees it’s unusual for tissue to take this long to “declare itself”. Any advice is welcomed.
Date: 11/09/2011 Submitted by: Tanner
Must be a bad week for tummy tuck belly buttons. In the past few days I have corresponded with two other people who had/have infected tummy tuck belly buttons. One of them was unfortunate and lost their belly button from the process (that was an overseas deal). If you are interested in their experiences, see comments from Sara and Drey in the tummy tuck forum (they are near the top of the list).
I can’t tell you how often the wounds “re-infect” and I can’t give you any medical advice, but what I would suggest is:
1. Go back to your surgeon again and have him/her re-examine it and treat accordingly. Maybe even go back weekly until this is resolved.
2. I would also ask him if applying Betadine Antiseptic Solution on a daily basis would help.
3. I would also ask him if applying Neosporin would help.
4. I would also ask him if there was any thing I could do to increase the circulation in that area (massage for example).
5. I would also ask him if a “booster shot” of antibiotics would be helpful.
That’s all I can think of.
Good luck and I hope it starts healing properly.
Leave A Comment